Tag overview for: 'news'
Entries on this site with 'news'
- Examining Cultural Equity in the Arts - Arts Connect International
Arts Connect International (ACI); a Boston-based non-profit committed to equity in the arts, released a community findings research report, "Examining Cultural Equity in t
- And Our New Director of Programs is . . . (drum roll please)
The VSA MA family is thrilled to welcome Portia Abernathy Brown to the team, as our new Director of Programs! In this new position, Portia will be overseeing programming
- We’re Hiring! VSA Massachusetts Director of Programs
As the winds continue to take us into new, unchartered, and opportunity-filled terrain, VSA Massachusetts is thrilled to announce that we are commencing a national search
- Aysha Upchurch Departing VSA
It is with bittersweet excitement that we announce the departure of Aysha Upchurch from VSA Massachusetts after three and a half years of service, laughter, creation and i
- Meet the Intern: Elli Smith
Hey there! I'm Elli. I spent my early years in the pink mountains of New Mexico, searching the sky for double rainbows and breaking open rocks in search of fossils. Mos
- Lauren Geraghty, Open Door Gallery Exhibitor and Committee Member, Has Passed Away
Tiger - by Lauren Geraghty It is with a heavy heart that we announce the passing of our friend and colleague Lauren Geraghty. Lauren shared her remarkable artwork at the
- VSA Mass. Announces Mia Branco as COOL Schools Program Manager
After spending a year working as an intern with Aysha, Nicole, Charlie, Jon, and COOL School's many wonderful Teaching Artists, it was a no-brainer for us to offer Mia Bra
- Marian Taylor Brown Joins VSA Mass. as Organizational Consultant
Photo credit: Candace Walker Photography Marian Taylor Brown; a recognized arts leader and innovator in greater Boston, is joining VSA Massachusetts as an organizational c
- Placement Opportunity in UK for Disabled Person to Work as Arts Producer, Curator, or Administrator
Unlimited is a program based in the United Kingdom which supports high quality, extraordinary art by disabled artists. In partnership with the British Council , Unlimited
- Nicole Agois Hurel named VSA Mass. Employee of the Year
Posted by Charlie Washburn Nicole Agois Hurel was honored recently at the Seven Hills Foundation Winter Wonder Fest as VSA Massachusetts' Employee of the Year . There wer
- Catherine Thatcher 9/28/1961 - 2/10/2016
Example of Catherine's jewelry. Catherine Thatcher passed away in her home February 10, 2016 from complications of Idiopathic Pulmonary Lung Disease which she lived with f
- Aysha Upchurch Named VSA Employee of the Quarter
Aysha is the newest member of the VSA Massachusetts COOL Schools team, having joined this summer as Associate Director. However, she is not new to the VSA family. Last f
- The 'Special' Power Of The Arts
WNET New York recently interviewed former Ambassador Jean Kennedy Smith who founded Very Special Arts, now known as VSA, four decades ago to bring the visual, literary and
- Black Friday, Cyber Monday, GIVING TUESDAY!
December 1, 2015 is Giving Tuesday. That means, it's a great day to support VSA Massachusetts as we promote the involvement of people of all abilities in the cultural lif
- VSA Massachusetts Announces COOL Schools Personnel Changes
Guest blog post by VSA Mass. Vice President and COO Charles Washburn. The new COOL School year is off to a grand start and we have a great team in place to help make it a
- Call for N. E. Artists: Walter Feldman Fellowship for Emerging Artists
The Arts & Business Council of Greater Boston announced a call for entries for the second year of the Walter Feldman Fellowship for Emerging Artists. This program support
- Nominate a White House Champion of Change for Disability Advocacy
This year marks the 25th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act, a landmark civil rights law that promises equal access and equal opportunity -- regardless of
- Boston Globe - "Devices Give Blind Filmgoers Oscar-worthy Experience"
Carl Richardson, State House ADA Coordinator and VSA Massachusetts Advisor, is featured in a Boston Globe article about blind movie patrons. Read the article here.
- Mass. Cultural Council and VSA Radio Spot on WCRB
Massachusetts Cultural Council recently aired a few radio spots about their UP Program which included this one about VSA Massachusetts. Download WCRB-2-2-15.mp3 . Playing
- Sidewalk Sam, Former VSA Director and Officer, Dies at Age 75
Guest blog post by Charles Washburn, Vice President & COO of VSA. Sidewalk Sam was a friend of mine. That in itself is no real distinction because this wonderful man made
- VSA Massachusetts Affiliates with Seven Hills Foundation
You may have noticed we recently changed our website logo. That's because effective November 1, 2014 VSA Massachusetts became the tenth affiliate of Seven Hills Foundatio
- Massachusetts Cultural Council Launches Inclusive Design Initiative
The Massachusetts Cultural Council (MCC) is putting inclusive design at the center of its work with cultural organizations across the Commonwealth with the announcement of
- Help Parkolation Come to Life - Back Our Kickstarter Project
Help our students bring their ideas for a greener Boston to life by supporting the construction of a parklet in downtown Boston. Learn more about the Kickstarter project a
- Wheelock Family Theatre to Receive Deaf and Hard of Hearing Outstanding Organization Award
Wheelock Family Theatre will receive an Outstanding Organization Award during Deaf and Hard of Hearing Constituents' Day at the State House. This award is undoubtedly due
- CapeCodCAN! In The News
CapeCodCAN! was featured in the news recently including the above Sandwich Community Television video with interviews of Jim Hurley, Managing Director and Tessa D'Agostino
- The New York Times Asks "Why Shouldn't Prosthetics Be Works of Art"
The New York Times - November 1, 2013 - "Far Out on a Limb" by Deirdre Dolan - Photographs by Nadav Kander Sophie de Oliveira Barata works out of a bright white, semidishe
- Watertown Commission on Disabilities Seeks Artists with Disabilities for November Exhibit
The Watertown Commission on Disabilities is sponsoring the 3rd annual Able Arts exhibit November 1 - 21, 2013 which will showcase artists with disabilities and their works
- Legislators Launch Statewide Listening Tour Exploring the State of the Arts - MCC Press Release
Contact: Samantha Schenk (617-722-2015) or Maria Syrniotis (617-722-1604) Legislators Launch Statewide Listening Tour to Explore the State of the Arts & Tourism in MA. Joi
- The Boston Globe Asks: "Is Art Therapy the Answer for Dementia?"
Boston Globe, 11/27/2012 Written by Karen Weintraub/Globe Correspondent Photo by Essdras M Suarez/Globe Staff DEDHAM — Carla shook a tambourine, while Dorothy played the x
- The Life of Bonnie Kaplan - Deaf Community News
The Massachusetts State Association of the Deaf interviewed VSA's Bonnie Kaplan (BK) for the Autumn 2012 issue of Deaf Community News (DCN). DCN: Hi, glad you could join
- AAPD Now Accepting Applications for 2013 Hearne Leadership Award
The American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) is now accepting applications for the 2013 Hearne Leadership Award . Each year, AAPD recognizes those outstandi
- Help VSA MA Win $25,000 Just By Giving $25
VSA MA will compete online with hundreds of local nonprofits during the first-ever Giving Common Challenge — a 36-hour online giving event starting at 8:00 am Wednesday, O
- Meet the Intern: Wilhelmina Peragine
Masters in Education Candidate at The Harvard Graduate School of Education in the Arts in Education Program What are your favorite pastimes? "Singing, drawing, paint
- Meet the Intern: Elizabeth Abowd
Senior at Lesley University, studying expressive arts therapy Hometown: Rock Hill, SC What are your favorite pastimes? "I love to watch documentaries! I also enjoy
- The ARTZ & Dementia Conference
A conference co-sponsored by Hearthstone Alzheimer Care and Hebrew SeniorLife The ARTZ and Dementia Conference: Innovation, Inclusion & Creative Expression The opportunity
- Article About Charles Washburn Published in Worcester Living
By: Thomas Caywood As a young arts advocate in Worcester in the 1970s, Charles J. Washburn found himself overcome by a desire to reach out to the most-isolated community h
- We’re Celebrating Charles J. Washburn’s 25th Year with VSA MA!
Thank you Charlie for your commitment, energy, enthusiasm and innovation! We can’t wait to see what you’ll do next! We gathered quotes, anecdotes, and notes of thanks fro
- VSA Mass Is Looking For Interns
VSA Massachusetts is seeking college and graduate students who are interested in interning with our COOL Schools program or in our development department. We currently ha
- VSA MA Named "Giving Common" Partner
VSA MA recently completed the process required to have our profile published with Giving Common, an initiative of the Boston Foundation. The Giving Common is a free onlin
- Elly Rubin's Book Acquired by Boston Athenæum
Elly Rubin, Museum of Fine Arts Coordinator of Access from 1978 - 2002, recently had an artists' book she created acquired by the Boston Athenæum. "Blind: Seeking Refuge
- VSA's Education Manager Nicole Agois Hurel
VSA Massachusetts Education Manager Nicole Agois Hurel speaks with BNN News about VSA's education programs and the positive impact of expanding access to the arts.
- VSA MA Treasurer Jeremy Alliger Featured in Boston Globe
VSA MA Treasurer, Jeremy Alliger, was featured in an April 29, 2011 Boston Globe article .
- VSA Zestival "Bunny Hop"
BNN News reports on the VSA Zestival "Bunny Hop" which took place July 20, 2011 at South Station in Boston.
- Free Fun Fridays
The Highland Street Foundation is sponsoring "Free Fun Fridays" throughout Massachusetts, June 29 through August 31. Attractions include: Tanglewood, Isabella Stewart Gard
- 5 Steps to Getting an iPad Covered by Insurance
The iTaalk Autism Foundation website has
- Open Door Gallery In the News
The Boston Globe published this photo of VSA MA board member Sidewalk Sam with artist Marguerite McDonald and poet Marylou DiPietro who collaborated to create "Snow on the
- Thank You Jean Kennedy Smith
This video was produced and shown to Ambassador Jean Kennedy Smith at the May 7, 2012 Board of Trustees Meeting, David Rubenstein, Chairman. It includes tributes from Exec
- Charles Washburn interviewed on MCB Radio
MCB's (Massachusetts Commission for the Blind) Horizons Radio affiliate Vince Lombardi interviewed VSA Massachusetts Executive Director Charles Washburn May 4, 2012. Clic